- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup (175 g)yellow split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- For the dough:
- 3 cups (720 g) all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling, except the oil, and cook until peas are soft but not mushy, and the water is completely absorbed into the peas (about 30 minutes). Finely mince cooked peas in a food processor. Heat the oil in a medium size frying pan. Add puréed peas and cook until mixture looks dry. When completely cool, turn mixture into powder.
- Place flour, baking soda and salt in a large shallow bowl and mix well. Stir 2 tablespoons oil in the water and pour over the flour. slowly in a stream, until the flour adheres together in a mass. Knead dough until smooth, dusting with flour. Rub oil over dough and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough and filling into six portions. roll one portion of dough into a small 4 inch (10 cm) circles. Spread one portion of filling on it. Bring the sides of the dough over the filling and enclose it completely. Dust patty with flour and roll into an 8 inch (20 cm) or 10 inch (25 cm) round circle. Roll all the breads the same.
- Heat a frying pan until very hot. Spread 2 teaspoons oil and add one bread. Cook until underside of bread is lightly browned. turn the bread over and add 2 teaspoons oil around the bread. When the second side of the bread is browned, remove bread and keep covered. Cook the remaining breads the same way.
- To assemble roti, place one bread on a plate. Add one serving portion of curry to the middle. Fold the top and bottom portion of the bread until they overlap slightly. Overlap the two side flaps the same way to form rectangular envelope. Makes six roties.
- *Trinidadian curry is not as strong as Indian curry powder and can be purchased either at your local Caribbean market or on the internet.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More