- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 2-1/2 lbs. salmon
- * 2 pounds whitefish*
- * 1/4 cup salt
- * 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- * 2 tbsp. sugar
- * 3 tbsp. matzoh meal
- * 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- * 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds ("coins")
- * Freshly ground pepper
- * 3 tbsp. dried dill weed
- * 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- Coasely grind the fish with 2 of the onions. Add 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. sugar, the matzoh meal, dill, eggs, and enough water to make a smooth, light paste.
- If you have the fish heads and bones, put them into a large pot with the carrots, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp. sugar. Cover with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the stock to a bare simmer. Let simmer for about a 1/2 hour.
- In a separate pot, bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil. Prepare the fish balls. Form spheres the size of large eggs. and drop them one by one into the simmering fish stock. Simmer fish balls and stock for another 1/2-hour. Add additional water from the second pot, so there is enough liquid to keep the balls afloat. Remove from the heat and let the fish balls cool in their liquid.
- Remove the fish balls. Strain the cooking liquid through fine cheesecloth, or if you have it, a floursack towel. I swear by them. Pour into a large jar and refrigerate until cold. It should gel. If it doesn't reheat and add one package of gelatin for every 2 cups of liquid.
- Paint each plate with a thin layer of gelatin and refrigerate. Place three or four carrot coins on in an attractive pattern on the plate and place a fish ball (or two, if they're small) on each plate. If gelatin should gel while you're doing this, reheat a bit until it turns liquid again. Paint gefilte fish and carrots with 2 more thin layers of aspic, chilling before each coat. Serve w/horseradish. I like the horseradish with beets for the contrasting colors on the plate.
- *NOTE: Whitefish is hard to get here on the West Coast. Red Snapper or cod or sole may be substituted
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More