- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- * 2-1/2 lbs. salmon
- * 2 pounds whitefish*
- * 1/4 cup salt
- * 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- * 2 tbsp. sugar
- * 3 tbsp. matzoh meal
- * 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- * 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds ("coins")
- * Freshly ground pepper
- * 3 tbsp. dried dill weed
- * 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- Coasely grind the fish with 2 of the onions. Add 2 tbsp. salt, 1 tbsp. sugar, the matzoh meal, dill, eggs, and enough water to make a smooth, light paste.
- If you have the fish heads and bones, put them into a large pot with the carrots, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp. sugar. Cover with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the stock to a bare simmer. Let simmer for about a 1/2 hour.
- In a separate pot, bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil. Prepare the fish balls. Form spheres the size of large eggs. and drop them one by one into the simmering fish stock. Simmer fish balls and stock for another 1/2-hour. Add additional water from the second pot, so there is enough liquid to keep the balls afloat. Remove from the heat and let the fish balls cool in their liquid.
- Remove the fish balls. Strain the cooking liquid through fine cheesecloth, or if you have it, a floursack towel. I swear by them. Pour into a large jar and refrigerate until cold. It should gel. If it doesn't reheat and add one package of gelatin for every 2 cups of liquid.
- Paint each plate with a thin layer of gelatin and refrigerate. Place three or four carrot coins on in an attractive pattern on the plate and place a fish ball (or two, if they're small) on each plate. If gelatin should gel while you're doing this, reheat a bit until it turns liquid again. Paint gefilte fish and carrots with 2 more thin layers of aspic, chilling before each coat. Serve w/horseradish. I like the horseradish with beets for the contrasting colors on the plate.
- *NOTE: Whitefish is hard to get here on the West Coast. Red Snapper or cod or sole may be substituted
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat NecessarySee More
Pizzoccheri Alla Valtellinesi
Summer Focaccia Basil SaladSee More