- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. sliced scallion
- 2 Tb. chopped fresh dill weed
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in scallion and dill weed. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til incorporated into mixture. In small bowl, stir together buttermilk and egg. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and knead together 'til combined.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into 7" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 15-17 min. or 'til toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Try this with Dilled Salmon Cream Cheese Spread!
- DILLED SALMON CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- from 'Simply Scones' by Leslie Werner & Barbara Albright
- "Try this with Dilled Scallion or Hearty Grain Scones."
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. chopped smoked salmon
- 1 tsp. fresh dill or 1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
- generous dash freshly ground black pepper
- In small bowl, stir together cream cheese, salmon, dill and pepper 'til combined. Serve the spread immediately or cover and refrigerate. To serve, let stand 15 min. at room temp. to soften.
- Makes approx. 1/2 cup.
Notes"Delicious served warm with cream cheese."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More