- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Winter 2012
These rolls can be made ahead. Bake them and let them cool in the pans; wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Warm for a few minutes in a 350° oven and serve.
Each roll contains 125 calories, 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 33mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 3g protein.
- 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 2 yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar2 sugar
- 2 cups warm unflavored milk of choice (105°F2 F---110°F)
- 3¼ cups of a good quality, all-purpose gluten free flour blend. *If your flour blend already contains xanthan gum and salt omit these ingredients from the recipe.
- *3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- *1½ teaspoons kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, + 1 egg (optional) for brushing tops
- ¼ cup butter or dairy free butter substitute, melted, more for brushing pans pans
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm milk in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar.
- Let sit 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture is foamy and has increased in volume.
- Combine flours, starches, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix for 30 seconds on medium-low to combine and break up any lumps in the potato starch.
- Add the yeast mixture, 2 eggs, melted butter, honey and vinegar.
- Mix on medium-low until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Then turn the mixer on high and mix for 3 minutes.
- Batter should be very thick and smooth.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush 2 standard muffin pans with melted butter or spray with gluten free, non-stick cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans, filling about ¾ full.
- Alternately, use a small (#60) ice cream scoop and place 3 scoops in each muffin tin (like a clover leaf).
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm, draft---free place. Let rise for 35 minutes or until dough has almost doubled in size.
- If desired, beat remaining egg with 1 tea-spoon water until thoroughly blended.
- Gently brush the tops of each roll with egg mixture.
- Place rolls in preheated oven and bake 17 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes.
- For Egg-Free Soft Dinner Rolls, omit 2 eggs. Combine 1 tablespoon flax meal with 3 table-spoons warm water; let sit for 5 minutes until thickened. Add mixture to yeast mixture in step 3 Add 1 tablespoon arrowroot to dry ingredients