- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 or 5 medium apples
- Wooden sticks
- 2 (14 ounce) packages caramels (96 pieces), divided
- Microwave 1 package of the caramels and 2 tablespoons of the water in a small deep microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every minute. If caramel sauce is too thin, let stand about 2 minutes before dipping apples.
- Dip apples into hot caramel sauce; turn until coated. Scrape excess sauce from bottom of apples. Place on greased wax paper. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.
- Second Caramel Layer
- After refrigerating, repeat microwave and dipping directions with remaining the remaining package of caramels and 2 tablespoons water.
- See decorating ideas below for warm caramel apples. Otherwise, refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. See decorating ideas below for chilled caramel apples.
- Store decorated apples in refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving to allow caramel to soften. Makes 4 to 5 medium apples or 2 large (3/4 to 1 pound each).
- Decorating ideas for warm caramel apples
- Roll in chopped pecans or nuts of your choice; drizzle with melted apples.
- Decorate with non-pareil covered semi sweet chocolate chips; drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- Roll in graham cracker pieces and miniature marshmallows; drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Roll in macadamia nuts or premium mixed nuts; drizzle with melted white and semi-sweet chocolate.
- Decorating ideas for chilled caramel apples
- Dip apple in melted chocolate, several times, waiting for chocolate to harden a little between each dip. Use white or semi-sweet chocolate or marbleize.
- Dip bottom of apple in melted chocolate; decorate with toasted coconut and slice almonds.
- Decorate with melted white or semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkles.
- Any of these apples can be decorated with anything you choose, such as raisins, chopped malted milk balls, peanut butter chips, chopped potato chips or pretzels