- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tablespoon butter OR margarine (I used 2 Tablespoons margarine, omitted the oil)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups peeled, sliced onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 - 10-1/2 ounce cans condensed beef broth (i.e., Campbell's)
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces beer, OR additional water (I used water)
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese, coarsely grated OR sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, add onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle with flour and stir in.
- Add broth, water and beer; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Simmer 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes into the broth.
- Remove pan from heat; add cheese and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Return to heat briefly, to reheat, but do not boil.
- Serve hot. Makes about 6 servings.
NotesWe only HOPE for leftovers. I use Gouda cheese, exclusively. It is a cross between French onion soup and Dutch potato cheese soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Short Sharp Chops
CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD / MUFFINSSee More