- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Tablespoon butter OR margarine (I used 2 Tablespoons margarine, omitted the oil)
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups peeled, sliced onions
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 - 10-1/2 ounce cans condensed beef broth (i.e., Campbell's)
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces beer, OR additional water (I used water)
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Gouda cheese, coarsely grated OR sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, add onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle with flour and stir in.
- Add broth, water and beer; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Simmer 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Mash potatoes into the broth.
- Remove pan from heat; add cheese and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Return to heat briefly, to reheat, but do not boil.
- Serve hot. Makes about 6 servings.
NotesWe only HOPE for leftovers. I use Gouda cheese, exclusively. It is a cross between French onion soup and Dutch potato cheese soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More