- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (finely ground polenta)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and spray a 25cm (10″) cast iron skillet with oil and set it aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt into one bowl, and stir together the buttermilk and baking soda in a different bowl. Into the buttermilk, then whisk the sugar, egg and oil.
- Put the oiled skillet over medium heat, add the butter and heat till it begins to sizzle, making sure to tilt the pan so you coat all the bottom and the sides.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together lightly and quickly till just combined. Scrape the batter into the skillet, then pop it into the preheated oven to bake for about 15-20 minutes, or till it’s golden. Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into wedges to serve
NotesThis recipe comes from 'The Cornbread Gospels', a book written by a woman named Crescent Dragonwagon. It is insanely delicious with a heartiness that makes it perfect for serving with a robust chili!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Simple Homemade Favorites
50 Shades of TasteSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More