- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is to be eaten with nasi minyak. Omit the beef for a vegetarian option. Serves 2.
- 1 tbsp yellow lentils, boiled
- 100 g stewing beef, sliced thinly
- 1/2 stick carrot, cut into 3 cm strips
- 3-5 long green beans, cut into 3 cm lenth
- 1/2 potato, cubed
- 4 cloves red shallots or 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 cm ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 150-200 ml coconut milk
- 50-100 ml water
- A pinch of tamarind pulp (use 2 tbsp tamarind juice as an alternative)
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 cinammon stick
- 1 cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, heat the oil and fry the shallots, garlic and ginger with the spices until soft.
- Dissolve the tamarind in a little water and discard the pulp.
- Pour in the coconut milk, water and tamarind water.
- Add the beef, potato, carrot, long beans, lentil and curry powder and stir. Let boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pot and let it simmer until the potato softens.
- Add salt to taste.