- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAn economical dessert to make, using up apple sauce and stale bread crumbs
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups stale breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Whip cream, 2 tblsps icing sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form (approximately 3 minutes - but it depends on the cream).
- Place butter in a skillet and melt over medium heat. Add brown sugar, bread crumbs, and cinnamon. Mix well and cook, stirring constantly, to toast the crumbs, 3-5 minutes. Let cool completely (you may need to break up some of the crumbs if they've clumped together - this is easily down in the processor). Set aside 1 tblsp of crumb mixture.
- Spread 1 cup of crumbs in a large bowl. Mix the lemon juice into the applesauce. Spread 1 cup of applesauce over crumbs. Next 1/2 of the whipped cream; then the last of the crumbs. Finally, another cup of applesauce and the balance of the whipped cream. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and reserved bread crumbs. Chill for atleast 3 hours.
- Serve spooned into sherbet glasses or sauce dishes