- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2½ cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup margarine
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup corn flakes
- 8-10 apples
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon,(I have used apple pie spice, nutmeg or use your favorite combination of pie spices!)
- 1 cup confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- Combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening and margarine.
- In a measuring cup beat the egg yolk.
- Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup and mix well. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well.
- Roll one half of the dough into the bottom of a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle dough with corn flakes.
- Peel and slice apples and layer over corn flakes.
- Combine white sugar and cinnamon (or your choice of spices) and sprinkle over apples.
- Roll out remaining dough and place on top.
- Seal edges and cut slits in the top.
- Beat egg white until frothy, brush top of crust with egg white.
- Bake at 350º for 45 minutes.
- Combine confectioners sugar and milk and pour over warm pastry.
- Cut into bars and serve.
NotesThis variation of apple pie always receives compliments from both family and co-workers.
From cookbook, Favorite Recipes from Quilters.
Good Books Publishers.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Adventures in Cooking
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More