- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis recipe makes the most amazing, delicate, CHOCOLATEY torte that I've ever tasted, and can also be frozen for up to a month in case you want to have a wicked dessert on standby to impress unexpected guests.
Not only that, but it's also flourless which means that its an excellent dessert for those who are coeliacs or follow gluten-free diets :)
I serve this cake with a wicked fresh strawberry sauce which pairs perfectly with this cake in terms of flavour as well as adding a splash of colour when you're serving it up! You can find the recipe for the strawberry sauce on my Kitchen Wench food blog :)
- 85g bittersweet chocolate (70-72% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- pinch of salt
- 85g unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, cold (leave them in the fridge till you need them)
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 180 degrees C, Line the base and sides of a cake tin with nonstick baking paper.
- Place your chocolate in a large heatproof bowl in a wide skillet (or saucepan) of barely simmering water, and stir occasionally till nearly all melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir till the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Whisk the sugar, salt and peanut butter into the melted chocolate till well incorporated, then add the butter and beat will an electric mixer.
- Once the butter has been completely beaten in (no lumps left) and the mixture is smooth and creamy, beat in the eggs one by one, followed by the bourbon and the vanilla.
- Beat the mixture for another 2-3 minutes or till the batter is light and fluffy, resembling a very fluffy frosting. Spoon the mixture into the lined cake pan and level it with the back of a spoon. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or till a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out with moist (NOT WET!) crumbs clinging to it.
- Once it has finished baking, set onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.