- Cooking Time: 12 to 14
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAfter much thought and experimentation, I came up with these caliente gems. The Chipotle powder adds a nice bite as you swallow the cookie, and lends a pleasing, mellow heat to the mouth.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened (natural) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together first 5 ingredients into a bowl. Beat butter in a mixer until fluffy. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until well blended. Add flour mixture and beat until moist clumps form. On low speed, mix in bittersweet chocolate chunks, just until evenly incorporated.
- Shape half of dough by heaping tablespoonfuls into balls, flatten into 2 inch rounds. Place rounds onto parchment paper, spacing evenly, about 2 inches apart. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Bake until center is slightly firm and top is nicely cracked, about 12 - 14 minutes. Cool on sheet pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely.