- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 8 cups
- Preparation Time: 60
- 8½ cups water
- 1 6-inch piece kombu (dried kelp)
- 1 cup dried bonito flakes
- Clean kombu by wiping it lightly with a damp cloth.
- Using a sharp knife, mark an X on the kombu.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water and kombu. Let the kelp soak overnight or for at least one hour.
- Bring to a boil. Remove and discard kombu.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add bonito flakes. Cover pan and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Line a sieve with a cheesecloth and strain stock into a large bowl.
- Use dashi immediately or cool and store refrigerated for up to one week.
NotesAn important base stock for many Japanese recipes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Christmas CookiesSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More