- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryDashi is the all purpose soup base and seasoning used in Japanese cooking.
Now that you know the way to make it, let me suggest that you use a powdered soup base called Dashino-moto and follow package directions.
I use one made by Shiyama form Japan.
If you don’t have a Japanese store handy try a Korean grocery.
- Konbu - Dried kelp
- Katsuo – bushi – dried shaved Bonita Tuna
- Place 2 1/2 cups of water in a pot.
- Add a 3” square piece of Konbu and turn heat to high.
- Just before the water starts to boil, remove the Konbu and add ½ cup of cold water.
- Add two handfuls of Katsuo-bushi and stir.
- Just before the water again comes to a boil, turn off and let sit and steep for ½ hour.
- Do not let boil for a long time or it will go bitter.