Date Coffee Cake
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (3 1/2 to 4 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
2 packages Fleischmann's® Rapid Rise Yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
2 6-ounce packages cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 cup chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat water and butter until very warm (120º to 130ºF). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
2. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.
3. Prepare Date Cheese Filling: In medium bowl, beat 12 ounces cream cheese, softened, with sugar and egg white until smooth. Stir in chopped dates or pitted dates, all-purpose flour and grated lemon peel.
4. Divide dough in half; roll each to 12- × 7-inch rectangle. Place on two greased baking sheets. Spread half of Date Cheese Filling over center-third (lengthwise portion) of each rectangle. Along sides of each coffee cake, cut 12 (1-inch wide) strips from edge of filling to edge of dough. Alternating sides, fold strips at an angle across filling.*(see notes) Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Beat remaining egg; brush on dough. If desired, sprinkle with Crumb Topping, dividing evenly. Bake at 375ºF for 30 to 35 minutes; cover with foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excess browning. Remove from sheets; cool on wire racks.
CRUMB TOPPING: In small bowl, combine all-purpose flour and sugar. Stir in butter or margarine, softened, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.