- Cooking Time: 175
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 30
- Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
- -------- ------------ --------------------------------
- 16 Ozs Black-eyed Peas -- soaked overnight, drained,peas picked over for stones/debris
- 8 C Water -- enough to fill the pot 75% full with the peas in it - use a 5-quart Dutch oven
- 2 Cubes Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1 Tsp Dry Mustard
- 2 Head Garlic -- peeled (yes, HEAD, not cloves)
- 2 Tsps Ground Ginger
- 3 Dash Lemon Pepper (contains Salt) -- qty is the chef's discretion
- 3 Dash Lemon & Herb Seasoning (salt-free) -- qty is the chef's discretion
- 1 Lg Onion, White -- chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Tarragon, Dried -- perhaps 1 Tsp
- 2 C Baby Carrot -- split in half
- 12 Ozs Turkey Stick (Summer Sausage) -- Remove casing, slice into bite size chunks
- 1 Pt Giorgio (brand) Chipotle Mushrooms -- includes chipotle peppers, mushrooms, carrots and onions in a spicy marinade - Chef David omits the chipotles and the marinade
- 10 Ozs Tomatoes With Green Chilies -- Ro-Tel brand, milder
- Peas are soaked overnight; drained and picked over for stones/debris before cooking
- Cook the peas (with the two chicken bouillon cubes) on simmer for about two hours.
- Add everything (seasonings and carrots) except meat, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the rest (cubed Turkey Stick, chipotle mushrooms and Ro-Tel tomatoes) and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes or until stoup is cooked to your taste.
NotesThis is a recipe my good friend David created for us to ensure we had available our Good Luck Black-eyed peas on New Year's day. We've been eating this every end of year and on New Year's day since at least 2006. It's a tradition in our lives.
Submitted by: "Karen Fraser"
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Kale Yeah It's Good...No Meat Necessary
Breads and Breakfasts: Bakin' Without Eggs...or Dairy!See More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More