- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 tsp Meringue Powder
- 1 tsp Water
- Skull molds (unless you're really good at sculpting!)
- Mix Sugar and Meringue Powder
- Stir until well blended
- Sprinkle with water
- Mix well with hands
- It should feel like beach sand.
- FIRMLY pack molds with sugar
- With a straight edge, scrape off the extra sugar until smooth.
- Immediately turn mold onto cardboard.
- Carefully lift mold off.
- Keep going until you run out of sugar.
- Now let these air day for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Now they are ready to decorate!
- I made Royal Icing to decorate. These are completely edible, but aren't really very tasty. They are better for decoration.
- Sugar Skulls aren't scary, they're bright and festive!
NotesDia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday that honors family and friends who have died. It takes place on November 1 and November 2. Sugar Skulls would be used to decorate alters built to honor the dead. The Sugar Skulls are also given as gifts. It's a really fun family project too. If your kids take Spanish in school. Do this with them next year. Maybe they can get some extra credit!