DAY OF THE DEAD SUGAR SKULLS
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 tsp Meringue Powder
- 1 tsp Water
- Skull molds (unless you're really good at sculpting!)
- Mix Sugar and Meringue Powder
- Stir until well blended
- Sprinkle with water
- Mix well with hands
- It should feel like beach sand.
- FIRMLY pack molds with sugar
- With a straight edge, scrape off the extra sugar until smooth.
- Immediately turn mold onto cardboard.
- Carefully lift mold off.
- Keep going until you run out of sugar.
- Now let these air day for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Now they are ready to decorate!
- I made Royal Icing to decorate. These are completely edible, but aren't really very tasty. They are better for decoration.
- Sugar Skulls aren't scary, they're bright and festive!
NotesDia de los Muertos is a Mexican holiday that honors family and friends who have died. It takes place on November 1 and November 2. Sugar Skulls would be used to decorate alters built to honor the dead. The Sugar Skulls are also given as gifts. It's a really fun family project too. If your kids take Spanish in school. Do this with them next year. Maybe they can get some extra credit!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Baked Spaghetti Casserole
Award - Winning Tortilla SoupSee More