- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Large tortillas (enough for 1-2 ea.)
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, frozen & thawed
- 1 box frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Taco sauce
- Olive or other favorite cooking oil
- Break the tofu into chunks that fit your hand. Squeezing excess water out, crumble tofu into medium bowl.
- On med. to med-hi heat, saute tofu till golden brown. When hot through, but not browned, add taco seasoning and about 1/2 c. water, mixing well.
- When tofu is golden brown, add spinach, stirring together well.
- Heat tortillas in large cast iron skillet or griddle with no oil.
- Make your burritos and add taco sauce if desired.
- It's easy to double or triple this recipe. I usually make it with 3 lbs. tofu and 2 or 3 boxes of spinach. This makes plenty for a dinner and plenty for lunches or dinners 1 or 2 more times. It also makes enough to feed 4 adults and 2 children, along with the soup mentioned below, for 1 meal (and possibly 1 or two lunches the next day).
- This works well if the adults heat their own burritos at the stove and make their burritos at the table -- sort of a DIY thing. Kids, of course, will need help or will need theirs done for them.
- These burritos are easyeasy and can be modified to your own tastes. I created them to go with my Southwestern Corn-Potato Soup.
- And for you non-vegheads, don't let the tofu scare you! Almost no one likes just-plain-tofu, but if you freeze and thaw it, you'll be amazed at what it's like. Freezing, thawing and cooking thoroughly are the keys to tofu. Trust me.