- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time: about 20 minutes
- 1 and 1/2 cups shortening (Crisco) – Arlene’s note (I use 1/4 cup of butter and 1 -1/4 cups Crisco)
- 1/4 cup dry Dream Whip
- 1/3 cup flour, sifted
- 2 lb bag confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2/3 cup water or milk (maybe more or less) ( Arlene uses milk)
- 4 tsp. clear vanilla, or 2 tsp vanilla and 2 tsp other flavoring
- pinch of salt
- Combine shortening and Dream Whip, mixing well on low speed.
- Combine the flour with the confectioner's sugar.
- Add wet and dry ingredients alternately, and mix.
- Whip until proper consistency . Do NOT over mix.
- Denser than buttercream, and good for roses and other flowers. One batch is more than enough for a 2 layer 8" cake. I use my whipping beater for this icing
- Depending on the weather, you might have to adjust the milk/water.
- Recipe for Flower Icing:
- This is stiffer than regular buttercream. I make the flowers 2 to 3 days ahead and just keep them on a cookie sheet lightly covered with wax paper. No need to refrigerate them.
- 2 TBSP Crisco
- 2 TBSP Milk
- 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar (sifted), you might need more or less.
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla Clear vanilla keeps the icing white
- They will dry and you can lift them up with your fingers to place them on the cake.
NotesI got this recipe many, many years ago from a baker in Texas. She said it was great for High humidity areas. I have used it since with rave reviews. I use clear vanilla that I get from Watkins on line. It is not that sweet and goes wonderfully on a pound cake. Makes great borders too.
I do not refrigerate the cake after frosting.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More