DEEP FRIED POTATO SKINS
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 to 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 teaspoons minced chives or green onion
Bake potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender.
Meanwhile, for dip, combine the sour cream, soup mix, onion, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a bowl.
Cover and refrigerate until serving.
When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise.
Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use).
With a scissors, cut each potato half into three lengthwise strips.
In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
Fry skins in oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Place potato skins in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
Combine the cheeses and bacon; sprinkle over potatoes.
Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle with chives.
Serve with the dip.