- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 to 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 teaspoons minced chives or green onion
- Bake potatoes at 400° for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, for dip, combine the sour cream, soup mix, onion, garlic and hot pepper sauce in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use).
- With a scissors, cut each potato half into three lengthwise strips.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Fry skins in oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Place potato skins in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Combine the cheeses and bacon; sprinkle over potatoes.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve with the dip.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More