- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 Cup WARM Water (almost hot)
- 1 Package Quick-Rising Active, Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Cup Cottage Cheese (I like to use the small curd varieties)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat Oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl sprinkle yeast and sugar over water. Let dissolve in a warm place. If your home is not warm enough pull down your oven door and turn it on 200-250 and let it sit on the opened door.
- Heat Cottage Cheese, Honey and Butter in a sauce pan until lukewarm. Add Salt and Baking Soda and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 a cup of your flour until combined. Mix the Cottage Cheese mixture in with the yeast mixture. Add the egg and stir well. Stir in remaining flour to make a firm ball of dough. Knead in the Cheese (I use a spatula to knead in the cheese because the dough can be sticky). Turn the dough out onto a work surface and wipe out the bowl. Lightly oil the bowl then return the dough to it. Place a damp, hot cloth over the bowl and let it rise in a warm place (the door of the oven) for 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a greased cookie sheet and shape into a 10 inch round loaf. Bake until top is nicely browned and bread feels firm. 35-40 minutes. Melt some butter over the top and cool on a wire rack until ready to serve.
NotesI can't remember where I saw this, but I love it! The directions below are for making it by hand. You can make it in a bread maker by putting everything in in the order recommended by manufacturer, setting it to dough cycle, and then completing with the directions below.
Also, for a lower fat version, I've used Kraft Fat Free Cheddar, Fat Free Cottage Cheese, and FF margarine instead of the real things and it still tasted great
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Screen-to-Table Cookbook: Food in Film
Home cookingSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More