- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening, frozen, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Mix water and apple cider vinegar together in small metal bowl and place in larger bowl of ice while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Sift or whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Using either a food processor or (for the truly hardcore) pastry cutter, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. If you used the food processor, transfer the mixture to a bowl at this point.
- with a fork, stir in the water and vinegar until moist clumps form. Do not add more water if you don't get one giant dough ball immediately - just gather the bits of dough together and they'll stick well enough.
- Gather dough into 2 equal balls and flatten each into a disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. These can be frozen for up to a month and defrosted overnight in the fridge
NotesDon't forget to...
-liberally flour your rolling pin and work surfaces.
-keep dough as cold as possible at every step right up until it goes in the oven
-do not, at any point, over work it
-It might be a bit piebald (heh) when you roll it out - don't worry, those spots of shortening and butter will be delicious and beautiful after baking
-brush with an egg/milk wash before baking
-roll out the extra and cover with jams, butter and cinnamon sugar, or any other delicious things that cross your mind, and bake just long enough to turn the dough to crust. Eat while meditating on the delicious pie to come