- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Backstory*I first began making this recipe a few years ago when My hubby and I first got married....He LOVES them and he even enjoys the filling on its own with Tortilla Chips...On his birthday I asked him what he wanted me to make for his "Birthday lunch" (since he had to work on his B-day- And he asked for this!
- -3 Tbsp. Butter
- -1 3/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- -3 Tbsp. Chicken Broth
- -1/4 tsp. each jalapeno salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powders
- -3 ounces of cream cheese, cubed and softened
- -1 cup colby-jack cheese
- -1 1/2 cups flour
- -1/2 tsp. salt
- -1/2 tsp. paprika
- -1/2 cup cold butter
- -4 to 5 Tbsp. cold water
- NOTE - You can make the filling either in the microwave or in the skillet)
- In a large skillet, melt butter; stir in chicken broth, seasonings and cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Remove from heat and add chicken.
- For pastry, combine flour, salt and paprika in a bowl; Cut in butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to 1/16 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter (or use the top of a cup dipped in flour).
- After circles are cut out of dough, mound a deaping Tsp. of mixture onto half of each circle. Top with tsp. of shredded colby jack cheese. Fold dough over filling. Press edges together with a fork to seal.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining filling and pastries circles. Bake at 375' for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- ENJOY!!! These are so yummy!
- NOTE *These empanadas can also be made with taco meat or different types of cheese! Also, when I am short on time, I sometimes use the pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts that roll out!