- Cooking Time: 45 Mins
- Servings: 45 (2-inch) Brownies
- Preparation Time: 15 Mins
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups canned black beans, drained well
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated instant coffee
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups Honey
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan with Reynold's parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high.
- Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely.
- Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the honey and beat well.
- Set aside.
- Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture.
- Stir until blended well.
- Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup.
- Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy.
- Drizzle over the brownie batter.
- Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set.
- Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares.
- Refrigerate several hours, or over night for best results.
NotesI found this recipe from a natural foods blog (101Cookbooks.com), but tweaked it a bit to make it more manageable and to streamline the ingredients. People are always blown away when they find out about the secret ingredient in these brownies, and I get requests to make them again and again. If you like fudgy, rich brownies, then these healthier, coffee kissed brownies are for you!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Simple Homemade Favorites
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Poblano Macaroni and Cheese
Betty Crocker Raspberry-Lemon Fruit Dip
The Barefoot Contessas Pan Fried Onion DipSee More