- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA twist on an old favorite...
- 4 pieces wheat or white bread – cut ½ inch thick
- 6 pieces bacon
- 4-6 pieces bibb leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- juice of one lemon
- ¼ lb. sliced turkey breast
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella – sliced
- mayonnaise (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a baking wire rack on a sheet pan and arrange the bacon on the rack in a single layer. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the bacon is browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. (If you prefer, fry the bacon slices in a skillet and drain as usual).
- Place the 4 bread slices on a sheet pan. Divide the turkey slices and mozzarella evenly on two of the pieces of bread. Toast the bread for 5 minutes or until evenly browned and the cheese is melted.
- Place the 2 plain toasted slices on a cutting board. Spread each slice with mayonnaise, if desired. Cover the slices with a layer of lettuce. Peel the avocado and slice it 1/2-inch thick. Toss the avocado slices gently with the lemon juice, and arrange on top of the lettuce leaves.
- Place 3 slices of bacon on top of each sandwich and then add a layer of tomato slices on top of the bacon. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place the other toasted half (with the turkey and melted mozzarella) on top.