- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 oz. butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 TB flour
- 1 cup Beef stock
- 2 cups Veal stock
- 1 TB sugar
- 1 TB Tomato paste
- a couple pinches of salt
- a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Bouquet garni (Thyme, parsley and Bay leaf wrapped in a leek leaf)
- 2 T. Cognac [or brandy]
- 2 T. Dry Marsala
- Sweat the carrots, onions and celery in the butter over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar and increase the flame to brown the vegetables. (I am resisting the use of the word caramelize, cause this is really a Malliard Reaction)
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly for 3 minutes so the flour will brown.
- Add the stocks, tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper and the bouquet garni.
- Stir until a boil in achieved, then reduce flame to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain through fine mesh into a clean bowl and stir in the Cognac and Marsala, if you will be using the sauce immediately.
- You can freeze this if you do not need it all.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Home cookingSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More