- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbs canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup (whole wheat cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place raisins and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until water is reduced to about one cup. Set aside to cool.
- Cream sugar and oil by beating vigorously.
- Add raisins and liquid.
- Beat together until the mixture is smooth.
- Add flours, baking soda, and spices, and mix well.
- Bake in a lightly oiled 9-inch square pan for 30–40 minutes.
NotesThis cake was named for the period in history when eggs and sugar were scarce. It is very light and great with a cup of tea.