- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Crust Ingredients:
- (this recipe makes 2 crusts)
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tbls white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 5 tbls water
- Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 7 medium apples (peeled, cored and sliced very thin)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- To prepare crust: in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix well, and then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar, and water. Whisk together then add gradually to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until dough forms a ball (or until well mixed, you may have to form the ball yourself). Allow dough to rest in refrigerator for 10 minutes before rolling out.
- Place oven rack in lowest position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll chilled dough into a 12" circle.
- 5) Fit dough into a 9" pie pan and trim excess dough leaving 1" overhang and make a decorative edge.
- To prepare filling: mix together all filling ingredients and spoon into pie crust.
- To prepare topping: in a small bowl mix together brown sugar, flour and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender cut butter into brown sugar mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and sprinkle over top of pie filling.
- Bake pie until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly, approximately 35 minutes. If the pie is getting to brown cover loosely with aluminum foil.
NotesI just realized that the crust recipe makes 2 crusts and the pie recipe is for 1 - 1 crust pie.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More