- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI just realized that the crust recipe makes 2 crusts and the pie recipe is for 1 - 1 crust pie.
- Crust Ingredients:
- (this recipe makes 2 crusts)
- 3 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tbls white sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 5 tbls water
- Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 7 medium apples (peeled, cored and sliced very thin)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- To prepare crust: in a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt and sugar. Mix well, and then cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, vinegar, and water. Whisk together then add gradually to flour mixture, stirring with a fork. Mix until dough forms a ball (or until well mixed, you may have to form the ball yourself). Allow dough to rest in refrigerator for 10 minutes before rolling out.
- Place oven rack in lowest position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll chilled dough into a 12" circle.
- 5) Fit dough into a 9" pie pan and trim excess dough leaving 1" overhang and make a decorative edge.
- To prepare filling: mix together all filling ingredients and spoon into pie crust.
- To prepare topping: in a small bowl mix together brown sugar, flour and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender cut butter into brown sugar mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and sprinkle over top of pie filling.
- Bake pie until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly, approximately 35 minutes. If the pie is getting to brown cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Screen-to-Table Cookbook: Food in Film
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More