- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 pound chicken breast, chicken cutlets or chicken tenders, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the rice; toast, stirring, for a minute or two. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 17 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, bring enough water to reach a depth of 1 inch to a boil, salt it, add the green beans and cook for 2 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 2 turns of the pan, over high heat until rippling. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook until just softened, 3 minutes. Add the green beans and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, mix together the tamari, honey, hot sauce, mustard and remaining
- 1/2 cup chicken broth. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables; toss. Drizzle the sesame oil over the chickenal.
- Stir the scallions into the rice and fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken over the rice and top with the sesame seeds. and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
NotesI clipped this recipe out of Rachael Ray's magazine "Everyday with Rachael Ray" and finally came across it last week. I made it last night and it is honestly the best homemade stir fry I ever had. It's the perfect balance of sweet and salty that is very hard to achieve at home.
The recipe calls for cooking the rice in chicken broth. You can do that but it's really just a waste of chicken broth. You can't taste it once the sauce is poured on it and the scallions are mixed in.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Adventures in CookingSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce