- Cooking Time: 18-20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened, dutch processed cocoa
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c lukewarm water
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING:
- Cupcakes to go!
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 c confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 c smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a standard 12 cup muffin pan with papers.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter on medium-high speed until the mix is light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mix in 3 additions, alternating with the water and the buttermilk.
- Beat on low speed until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Then continue to beat on medium-high speed until no traces of flour remain, about another 30 seconds.
- Do not overbeat.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
- Bake until a toothpick in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before transferring the cupcakes to the wire rack to cool for another hour.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, on medium-low speed, beat the butter, sugar, peanut butter, and cream together until combined and smooth; about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of bowl as needed.
- Use right away.
- I garnished these with chopped, honey roasted peanuts!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More