- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp butter, cold
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Several tablespoons of cold water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Splenda Granular
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup crumbled amaretti cookies
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix flours and almond meal in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it is coarse-meal textured.
- Stir in almond extract and 2 tablespoons of cold water, adding water gradually to form dough that is pliable but not too sticky.
- Press into the bottom and partially up sides of an 8” or 9” square pan. Dock crust all over with a fork.
- Bake 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350F.
- Beat eggs, Splenda and honey with electric beaters until creamy.
- Mix in lemon juice, butter, and lemon rind.
- Pour mixture into baked pastry.
- Sprinkle amoretti crumbs over the lemon filling.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and chill before serving
NotesThese are a variation of the popular lemon square, modified to make it more diabetic-friendly and to introduce the flavour of almond into the crust and crunchy topping, something my stepfather loves.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Vegan Glass Jar Goodies
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More