- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp butter, cold
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Several tablespoons of cold water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Splenda Granular
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup crumbled amaretti cookies
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix flours and almond meal in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it is coarse-meal textured.
- Stir in almond extract and 2 tablespoons of cold water, adding water gradually to form dough that is pliable but not too sticky.
- Press into the bottom and partially up sides of an 8” or 9” square pan. Dock crust all over with a fork.
- Bake 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350F.
- Beat eggs, Splenda and honey with electric beaters until creamy.
- Mix in lemon juice, butter, and lemon rind.
- Pour mixture into baked pastry.
- Sprinkle amoretti crumbs over the lemon filling.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and chill before serving
NotesThese are a variation of the popular lemon square, modified to make it more diabetic-friendly and to introduce the flavour of almond into the crust and crunchy topping, something my stepfather loves.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More