DIABETIC FRIENDLY CHOCOLATE DREAM PIE
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) Skim milk
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) cocoa
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 1 egg, separated
- Artificial sweetener equivalent to 10 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) instant skim milk powder
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) ice water
- 9 inch (1 L) baked Oatmeal Pie Crust (recipe below)
Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup (50 ml) milk to soften.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Whisk 1 cup (250 ml) milk and cocoa together until well blended.
Heat to boiling in a heavy saucepan; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir together cornstarch, egg yolk and remaining 1/4 cup milk.
Stir into cocoa mixture; continue cooking over low heat
until mixture thickens. Mix in gelatin and sweetener until they
dissolve. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Chill until partially set. Beat together egg white, skim milk
powder and ice water until stiff peaks form. Fold into chocolate
mixture. Spoon into pie shell.
Chill about 4 hours until set.
Makes 8 servings.Each serving: 1/8 pie including crust