- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThese are a bit of work, but worth the effort. The egg salad will keep for up to 2 days in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator.
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt or mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons fresh dill, or 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Egg Salad Mixture:
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons minced carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 4 slices wheat or rye bread
- Mayonnaise and mustard for spreading
- 2 large tomato slices
- Finely shredded letuce or alfalfa sprouts, as desired
- To make the dressing: Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Mash the egg yolks with a fork and dice the egg whites. Add the carrot, bell pepper, celery, onion, and capers; toss. Stir in the dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Spread one side of 2 slices of bread with mayonnaise and one side of the other 2 slices with mustard.
- Spread the egg salad mixture over the mayonnaise on 2 of the bread slices. Add a tomato slice and lettuce or sprouts to each. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread, mustard-side down, and cut in half.