- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 5 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- five 3.5 oz bars bittersweet chocolate cut into chunks.
- 1 cup rum macerated cherries
- 8-10 oz bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set out two cookie sheets or rimmed baking sheets.
- In a large bowl thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- Scatter of cubes of butter and using a pastry blender or two round bladed table knives, cut the fat into the mixture until reduced to small pearl sized bits.
- Stir in the sugar.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the whisked mixture over the dry ingredients, add the cherries and five bars of chocolate, and stir to form a dough.
- The dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. Divide the dough in half.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead briefly 6-8 times.
- If the dough is very sticky, sprinkle the work surface with extra flour as you are kneading it; the dough, however, should remain moist.
- Form each piece of dough into a 7 1/2 inch round disc.
- Cut each round into 6 pie shaped wedges.
- Transfer the scones to the baking sheet using a wide metal spatula; space the triangles of dough about 3 inches apart.
- Bake the scones for about 18 minutes or until set.
- The exterior will be firm, golden, and slightly springy to the touch.
- Cool the scones on the baking sheets for one minute, then transfer them to cooling racks.
- Cool completely.
- Melt the 8-10 oz chocolate and cool to tepid.
- Dip one triangular corner of each scone into the melted chocolate to coat.
- Place them on sheets of waxed paper.
- Let the scones stand until the chocolate has set.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More