- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 5 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- five 3.5 oz bars bittersweet chocolate cut into chunks.
- 1 cup rum macerated cherries
- 8-10 oz bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set out two cookie sheets or rimmed baking sheets.
- In a large bowl thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- Scatter of cubes of butter and using a pastry blender or two round bladed table knives, cut the fat into the mixture until reduced to small pearl sized bits.
- Stir in the sugar.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour the whisked mixture over the dry ingredients, add the cherries and five bars of chocolate, and stir to form a dough.
- The dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. Divide the dough in half.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead briefly 6-8 times.
- If the dough is very sticky, sprinkle the work surface with extra flour as you are kneading it; the dough, however, should remain moist.
- Form each piece of dough into a 7 1/2 inch round disc.
- Cut each round into 6 pie shaped wedges.
- Transfer the scones to the baking sheet using a wide metal spatula; space the triangles of dough about 3 inches apart.
- Bake the scones for about 18 minutes or until set.
- The exterior will be firm, golden, and slightly springy to the touch.
- Cool the scones on the baking sheets for one minute, then transfer them to cooling racks.
- Cool completely.
- Melt the 8-10 oz chocolate and cool to tepid.
- Dip one triangular corner of each scone into the melted chocolate to coat.
- Place them on sheets of waxed paper.
- Let the scones stand until the chocolate has set.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Babette's Test Kitchen
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More