Dipping Donuts and Cider Stuffed Apples
Why I Love This Recipe
My hometown is Detroit, Michigan and growing up I had fond memories of taking road trips with my grandparents to the cider mills. I was a young girl and we used to pick apples in the orchard and bring them home to bake apple pies that my grandfather loved. But before we got back in the car we would sit in the mill and dip doughnuts in fresh apple cider and be warm from the chill of the fall weather. This recipe is inspired by those childhood memories and brings back Michigan into my Wisconsin home as now where cider mills are scarce. Thank you for hosting and please enjoy!
Ingredients You'll Need
8 Large Apples-MCintosh, Johnathon
8 Doughnuts, cinnamon, plain or sugared
3 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp Allspice
4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Milk
5 Tbsp Applesauce
1 cup Vanilla Pudding
½ tsp Salt
Candy Apple Mixture:
1½ cups Water
2 cups Light-colored Corn Syrup
1½ cups Sugar
2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
3 Tbsp Red Food Coloring
1 Cinnamon Sticks
2 Chopped Toasted Almonds, found in cake decorating section
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and cut a slice about the size of the apple core from tops of apples with a paring knife. Cut and scoop the core and seeds out of the apple. This will leave a hole in the apple. The hole will be like the inside of a bowl.
1. Crumble doughnuts into a medium bowl.
2. With a fork mix: eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar, vanilla, milk, applesauce, vanilla pudding and salt until doughnuts are well coated and eggs are blended.
3. Spoon 2-3 heaping tablespoons into the holes in the apples.
4. Place stuffed apples in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
While the apples are baking, begin the Candy Apple Mixture:
1. Bring to a boil the water, corn syrup, sugar, cream of tartar and red food coloring.
2. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer.
3. Slowly stir until everything is well dissolved.
4. After 10 minutes of simmering turn off heat.
5. Using tongs, dip a baked apple into candy apple mixture for 2-3 minutes. Take out and repeat with the rest of the apples.
1. Press a cinnamon stick into the middle of the apple
2. Sprinkle toasted almonds on the doughnut stuffing.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: