- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is one of my father's favorite Northern Chinese appetizer dishes. This cake is thin, flat, crisp outside, chewy inside and bursting with onion flavor.
I like to serve them as street vendors in Beijing do: sliced into wedges and eaten out of
hand, plain or with a spicy chili-garlic dipping sauce.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening.
- lard, or cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut Chinese Green Onion cakes into wedges.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.