- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1.5 cups orzo pasta
- 4 cups chicken broth/stock
- 3 garlic cloves
- Bob Evans Spicy Sausage (1/3 roll)
- 1 T butter
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- splash of milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- one small red pepper chopped
- 1 cup chopped baby bella mushrooms (or any type)
- 2 sliced, cooked chicken breast (whatever is easiest, boil, grill saute)
- Brown sausage. Add mushroom and red pepper and cook until mushrooms lose moisture and pepper is a little soft. Remove and set aside.
- On separate burner, heat broth.
- In saute pan, melt butter with 1 T olive oil. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add orzo, mixing until coated and clumping. Add broth one ladle at a time, waiting for the liquid to be absorbed before ladling in liquid again. This is how it is risotto. Toward end, before completely cooked, add red wine and milk. Add half of the cheese and the chicken, sausage, red pepper, and mushroom. Stir until fully combined. If orzo is still a little too hard, continue with broth. Once cooked, add rest of parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with parsley or chopped basil for a little freshness.
NotesThis is adapted from Giada's Dirty Risotto on the Food Channel. Because arborio rice seems to be expensive and a bit hard to find sometimes, I use Orzo Pasta, which is only .99 cents a box.