- Cooking Time: 7
- Servings: 12?
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryI used to order one of these torts from Swiss Colony. It always had
a chocolate glaze or something all over it; it was nice, soft, and mildly rich.
Plus it had a wonderful filling! I always wondered how to make it. Then one day, I found a recipe for it, in book of recipes.
- The cake:
- 7 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup self rising flour
- The filling:
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 corn starch
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- The glaze:
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sguar
- 1 tablesppon butter
- Grease and flour baking sheets. Preheat oven to 425 F (220C).
- Put egg yolks, half the sugar ands alt into a medium bowl. Beat until
- creamy and pale, 5 to 10 minutes with an electric mixer. Beat egg whites
- until stiff; beat in the remaining sugar. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Sift the flour over the egg mixture and fold in. Spread evenly in 6 1o nch (25 cm) rounds (if you have that many) on prepared baking sheets. Bake 5 to 7 mintues or utnil a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on racks. When cool, fill with the filling.
- To make filling, mix a little milk with cornstarch in a medium bowl. Heat remaining milk with sugar in a small sauce pan. Stir and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in egg yolk qucily and thoroughly. Return mixture to bowl; cool. Cream the butter until soft, then beat into cooled cornstarch sauce a spoonful at a time. Melt marshmallows and chocolate in double boiler over low heat. Beat chocolate mixture into conrstarch mixture. Regfrigerate until firm enough to spread. Spread the
- 6 sponge rounds with three fourths of the chocolate cream; arrange layers on top of each other. Spread remaining chocolate cream on the sides of cake.
- To make glaze, heat sugar and butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly utnil sugar has dissolved and butter melted. The mixture should be light brown. Spread caremel glze over top of cake immediately. While caramel coverin s still soft, divide the top into 12 portions with an oiled knife. the caramel can not be cut after it has hardened.