- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 250g (8 ¾ oz) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped,
- 2 Tbs caster (superfine) sugar,
- 1 tsp vanilla extract,
- 2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted,
- 2 tsps baking powder,
- ½ cup caster (superfine) sugar, extra,
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) milk,
- ½ cup (4 fl oz) (single or pouring) cream,
- (single or pouring) cream, extra, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C (355F). Place the rhubarb, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre of the mixture. Gradually pour in the milk and cram and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, add the rhubarb mixture and gently knead until a smooth dough forms. Roll out the dough until 3cm (1 in) thick. Use a 5cm (2 in) square cookie cutter to cut out 10 squares (I made rectangles and just cut them with a sharp knife). Place the scones together on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Serve with the extra cream and rhubarb and vanilla jam.