- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy husband's aunt made this for me for his family's holiday dinner the first holiday I became a vegetarian :D
I think I would add walnuts or some other nut to this :)
- 16 oz. egg noodles
- 4 tbsp (1/2) stick margarine or butter, melted (use the margarine!)
- 1 cup applesauce, no sugar added
- 4 large eggs (I will use egg substitute)
- 2 large egg whites (again, egg substitute)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/2 cup raisins (I assume golden or regular will work)
- 4 medium green apples, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced/chopped
- nonstick spray
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9X13 casserole.
- Cook noodles several minutes les than package directions. Drain and return to pan. Add margarine and applesauce and toss to coat.
- In medium pan, whisk eggs and eggwhites, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until blended. Stir in noodles, raisins and apples. Mix well.
- Pour everything into casserole; spread evenly. Spray foil with spray and place over noodles. (You may refrigerate overnight from this point)
- Bake covered for 45 minutes. Increase temp to 375F. Remove foil and spray top of kugel with nonstick spray and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let sit 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.