- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- double pie crust
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom or nutmeg
- 5 cups pitted fresh tart red cherries (you can also use canned or thawed frozen tart cherries, drained)
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- Milk and sugar for finishing pie
- Prepare the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, flour, tapioca and cardamom.
- Add the fresh and dried cherries.
- Toss to mix thoroughly.
- Scrape the filling into the pie shell.
- Dot with the butter.
- Cover with the remaining pastry round and trim to 1/2 inch beyond the pie-plate rim.
- Fold the top pastry under the bottom pastry and crimp.
- Brush the top pastry with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the pie for about 50 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.