- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12-16
- Preparation Time: 10
- 175g butter
- 100g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown soft sugar
- 3 rounded tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 225g rolled oats (porridge oats)
- 30g cocoa powder
- 100g dark or milk chocolate chips
- Extra cocoa powder to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160Cfan) gas 4. Grease and line a shallow 20cm square tin with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter, Tate & Lyle sugar and Lyle’s Golden Syrup into a medium pan, heat gently until melted. Toss the oats and cocoa powder together then stir into the melted mixture with the chocolate chips. Turn into the tin, level and press the mixture evenly and firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 25 minutes, or until just golden around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes then cut into 12 or 16 pieces whilst still warm. Cool completely before turning out onto a board and cutting again with a sharp knife. If liked sift a little cocoa powder over the flapjacks before serving
NotesWhether it is the appeal of the make-do-and-mend culture that out grandmothers knew, the return of the popularity of the humble cup cake, or the new trend for artists to use food as a medium for art such as the Cake Britain exhibition, there is no denying that baking is back. Three quarters of families with young children now bake together every month. Lorna Rhodes has teamed up with Lyle’s Golden Syrup to show how parents can teach their children about baking. First recipe in the frame is the flapjack. Flapjacks are perfect for parents and children to develop their cooking skills and enjoy results which taste great every time.
To learn more about the magic of Lyle’s visit the new website: www.lylesgoldensyrup.com
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More