DOUBLE HOT PEPPER JELLY
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 C. finely minced red chili peppers
- 3/4 C. finely minced green jalapeno peppers
- 6 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 1/2 C. distilled white vinegar
- 2 pouches (3 oz. each) liquid pectin
- Sterilize 8 half pint jars; keep hot until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.
- In a large kettle, combine minced peppers, sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Using a metal spoon, skim off any foam.
- Increase heat to high.
- Return kettle to heat and bring back to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Stir in pectin and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/8 inch head space.
- Wipe jar rims and seal with hot lids and screw bands.
- Invert jar 30 seconds, then stand upright to seal. Makes about 8 half pint jars.
NotesThis is a medium heat level if you like hot, spicy foods. You can lower the heat by substituting green bell pepper for half of the hot peppers. Great with cream cheese and crackers or a condiment with meats.
Wear rubber or plastic gloves while cutting hot peppers and do not touch skin or eyes. To mince peppers, using a sharp knife, cut off tops
and slice lengthwise. Discard seeds and white membrane. Cut lengthwise in 1/8 inch strips, then cut very fine crosswise strips.