- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 package Sheriff lemon pie mix
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- yellow food colouring
- *chopped chocolate, optional
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour three 7" pans.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat well.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Add to butter mixture, with 1 cup milk. Mix, adding second cup of milk with the vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour batter into prepped pans and bake for 1 hour. Cool completely before removing from pans.
- Make your icing while the cakes bake! Cream the shortening and butter, then add the vanilla. Slowly add the sugar, about 1 cup at a time till mixed, then slowly add the milk. Tint yellow!
- Prepare the lemon pie mix according to box directions. Spread between the layers and ice with your buttercream. Sprinkle with a bit of chopped chocolate if you like.
NotesThis is the third cake I baked for cake year! So lemony and moist!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Lau Family Recipes
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More