DOUBLE SHOT CHOCOLATE CAKE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 ounces unsalted butter
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into small pieces (recommended brand: Godiva dark)
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-fine granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-style cocoa (recommended brand: Hershey’s Premium European-Style)
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Butter a 10-by-1 1/2-inch heavy-duty round cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment cut to fit. Butter the parchment. Set aside.
- Fill a 16-by-11-inch roasting pan with 1 inch of hot water, place the roasting pan on a baking sheet, and put it into the oven.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the butter with the chocolate. When the ingredients are melted, remove the pan from the heat to cool slightly. Sift the sugar with the cocoa twice, then whisk it into the melted chocolate mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are foamy. Add the vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Blend with a spatula until very well mixed.
- Carefully pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Gently place the cake pan in the water-filled roasting pan.
- Bake about 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cake begins to shrink slightly from the sides and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool for 15 minutes, then invert carefully and peel off the paper. Allow to cool completely.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream, best quality vanilla ice cream, or my awesome Espresso Whipped Cream (see recipe below).
NotesDouble Shot Chocolate Cake (Originally published by Diane Mott Davidson in her novel Double Shot)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More