- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon gheera (cumin)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Oil for frying
- Filling (Curried Channa):
- 1 14 oz channa, tinned
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tsp ground geera (cumin)
- 1 tsp Pepper sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, curry powder and gheera.
- In a separate small bowl place the warm water, sugar and yeast and set to sponge for 5 minutes.
- To the flour, add the yeast mixture and enough water to make a slightly firm dough.
- Mix well, cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- For the filling, heat the oil in a heavy skillet, add onion, garlic and 1 heaped tablespoon of curry powder mixed with 1/4 cup water.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the channa, stir to coat well and cook for five minutes
- Add 1 cup water, gheera, salt and pepper; cover, lower heat and simmer until the peas are very soft (20-30 minutes).
- When the channa is finished it should be moist and soft.
- Add pepper sauce and season to taste with additional salt if desired.
- For the bara: The dough should be punched down and allowed to sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To shape the bara, take 1 tablespoon of the dough and flatten to a round, 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
- Use oil to moisten palms of your hands so that the dough won’t stick to them
- Fry the baras in hot oil until puffy (about 15 seconds per side), turn once and drain on kitchen paper
- When all are cooked, fill with channa by placing a heaping tablespoon of the cooked filling on each bara, covering with another to form a sandwich.
NotesCaribana is fast approaching, I can't wait for my yearly dose of doubles!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More