- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 3-1/8 cups flour
- 1/4 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 pkg. yeast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Filling (see Italian Sausage Roll)
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/8 cup of warm water (1/4 cup warm water for 20 serving size, if doubling amount). Allow to rest for proofing a few minutes.
- Put flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl, mix. Add shortening. Pour hot water over mix and start combining. Add dissolved yeast, and continue mixing. Add more warm water until a soft dough is formed. Sprinkle with more flour when dough gets sticky.
- Continue to knead to form grainy soft dough. Remove dough from bowl. Add olive oil to bowl and roll dough around until it is coated with oil. Place dough in a warm place to rise, covered with a clean cloth. Allow to rise until doubled. About 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled in size, roll to a 1-inch thickness x 10-inch round circle. Use only enough dough to achieve this size. Follow instructions for filling you roll. (See recipe for Italian Sausage Roll)
- To freeze your dough: Form into serving size balls and place on a cookie sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze balls until firm and then transfer them to freezer bags and store in freezer. Recommended storage is 1 month.
- To bake: Remove frozen dough from freezer, open freezer bag and leave bag to thaw or place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap to thaw. It is important to have plastic covering over dough to thaw or it will dry out. It usually takes 4 hrs. to thaw. Shape as desired. 10 servings
NotesPrepare this dough for you sausage roll and enjoy a nice, satisfying comfort food
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Roasted Potato Wedges
IRISH COFFEE PIESee More