- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 3-1/8 cups flour
- 1/4 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 pkg. yeast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Filling (see Italian Sausage Roll)
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/8 cup of warm water (1/4 cup warm water for 20 serving size, if doubling amount). Allow to rest for proofing a few minutes.
- Put flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl, mix. Add shortening. Pour hot water over mix and start combining. Add dissolved yeast, and continue mixing. Add more warm water until a soft dough is formed. Sprinkle with more flour when dough gets sticky.
- Continue to knead to form grainy soft dough. Remove dough from bowl. Add olive oil to bowl and roll dough around until it is coated with oil. Place dough in a warm place to rise, covered with a clean cloth. Allow to rise until doubled. About 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled in size, roll to a 1-inch thickness x 10-inch round circle. Use only enough dough to achieve this size. Follow instructions for filling you roll. (See recipe for Italian Sausage Roll)
- To freeze your dough: Form into serving size balls and place on a cookie sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze balls until firm and then transfer them to freezer bags and store in freezer. Recommended storage is 1 month.
- To bake: Remove frozen dough from freezer, open freezer bag and leave bag to thaw or place on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap to thaw. It is important to have plastic covering over dough to thaw or it will dry out. It usually takes 4 hrs. to thaw. Shape as desired. 10 servings
NotesPrepare this dough for you sausage roll and enjoy a nice, satisfying comfort food
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More