DOWN-HOME BEEF HASH FROM AUNT KIKI
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 oz lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1 ½ pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Heat a large skillet over moderately high heat until hot. Add the beef and turkey and sauté, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes or until the meat has lost its pink color and released its juices.
Remove from heat and spoon the meat into a sieve set over a bowl. Allow the fat to drain from the meat at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery and sauté about 10 minutes or until softened and golden brown.
Return meat to skillet. Stir in beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off and all of the vegetables are tender.
In a pan of water, bring potatoes to a boil, and cook until tender. Add potatoes and parsley to the skillet and gently toss together with the meat mixture.