- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 24 cookies
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
BackstoryCHEMISTRY INFORMATION: The pure substances are baking soda (NaHCO3), salt (NaCl), and sugar (C12H22O11). The ingredients that are homogeneous mixtures are all-purpose flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, butter, and molasses. The fully mixed batter is also a homogeneous mixture. The heterogeneous mixtures are the egg, the batter before it is mixed, and the cookies after they are finished baking. The butter warming up after it is taken out of the refrigerator, and the dough being formed into balls are both physical changes. The puffing up of the cookies and the change in aroma as they bake both indicate that chemical changes are taking place. NUTRITION INFORMATION PER COOKIE: 142 calories, 2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 56 mg potassium
- (540 mL) 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- (10 mL) 2 tsp ground ginger
- (5 mL) 1 tsp baking soda
- (3.75 mL) 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- (2.5 mL) 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- (1.25 mL) 1/4 tsp salt
- (180 mL) 3/4 cup butter
- (240 mL) 1 cup sugar
- (1) 1 egg
- (60 mL) 1/4 cup molasses
- (30 mL) 2 tbsp sugar
- Combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor, beat butter on low speed for 30 seconds to soften.
- Gradually add the 1 cup sugar; beat till fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses; beat well.
- Stir dry ingredients into beaten mixture.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch (4 cm) balls, using a heaping tablespoon (15 mL) of dough for each one.
- Roll in the 2 tbsp (30 mL) of sugar and place on an un-greased cookie sheet about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) apart.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) oven about 10 minutes or till light brown and still puffed. (Do not overcook.)
- Let stand for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool