- Cooking Time: 140
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 120
- 2 racks baby back ribs (I usually use whatever ribs I can find on sale and lately I've been using the big beef ribs as well.)
- 1 large (2 litre) bottle of Dr. Pepper
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/ Tbsp vegetable oil (I always use olive oil)
- 1/2 med onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place the ribs in a large baking dish. Pour in Dr. Pepper to cover them, reserving at least 1/2 cup for the sauce. Add the salt and soak the ribs in the fridge overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Remove the ribs from the liquid, dry them, and rub with the chili powder. Place them on a baking dish, add 1 cup of water, and cover tightly with foil. Cook for 2 hours, until the meat nearly falls off the bone.
- For the barbeque sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until they're soft and fragrant, and add the ketchup, Worchestershire, vinegar, cayenne, and 1/2 cup of Dr. Pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. (I sometimes make a double batch and bottle it for future use. There is usually a cup of Dr. Pepper left.)
- Fire up the grill, and brush the ribs with sauce. When the grill is hot, cook them bone side down on a cooler part for 10 to 15 minutes. (That's High Indirect Heat on my Weber.) Flip them and cook until lightly charred and smokey. Remove, and brush on more sauce before serving.
NotesAnother great recipe I got from Men's Health. It's their 400 calorie 15 g fat 1/2 rack alternative to the Outback's Baby Back Ribs (full rack) that weighs in at 3023 calories with 242 g fat!!! Yikes!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More